Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Teachers vs. Mentors (I choose the latter)

This evening my sister in law told me she was looking for some poems about 'bees' for kids of grade 1-3 . As I surfed the net and went through several poetry sites, I stumbled upon this poem. I found it especially heartwarming, sweet and relevant. Here goes:

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN’T LOOKING
By Mary Rita Schilke Korzan
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you displayed my first report, and I wanted to do another.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you fed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you gave me a sticker, and I knew that little things were special things.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you put your arm around me, and I felt loved.
When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt--but that it’s all right to cry.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you smiled, and it made me want to look that pretty too.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, you cared, and I wanted to be everything I could be.
When you thought I wasn’t looking--I looked...and wanted to say thanks for all those things you did when you thought I wasn’t looking.

I have always felt blessed to be so closely associated with kids of various age groups and consider myself extremely fortunate to have someone like Sunil around who has a penchant for connecting with kids, especially teenagers. But reading this piece of poetry set me thinking about just how special a teacher is to a child. Recent times have seen an increased use of the word "mentor"~ it's the mentor who makes the child want to put his/her best foot forward, the mentor who guides the child in his journey of self discovery amd self actualisation, the mentor who's always there for the child, who hears him/her out and finally, the mentor is the person the child seeks out to confide in and places immense trust in. But aren't we missing something here? Isn't this the role of any caring, aware and dedicated teacher? Shouldn't all teachers be concerned about their student's life and be aware of what's going on there? If a student approaches a teacher to resolve a doubt he may have in an academic subject, shouldn't he also feel free to approach that same teacher if he's not sure what to do with his life? Sadly, that's not the case. I guess in this day and age, it's a very utopian thought to imagine a teacher knowing all the children in his/ her class personally and playing an active role in grooming them as responsible, young social beings.

These mentors however exist. And they are not mere figments of my imagination. I only wish there were more of these around, people who touch and transform children's lives when they come into contact with them. Col. Satsangi, the founder Chairman of the boarding school we worked at was one such person. The faith he had in all the kids in his school and the firm belief that every single one of them was going to be a success is what drove the kids to perform and many a times outdo even their teachers' and parents' expectations.

That is the kind of spirit and zeal I wish all teachers had. As for me and Sunil, in every batch of class XII back in Delhi there have been kids who were extremely close to us and are even now, a part of our extended family. We refer to them as our 'adopted sons and daughters' (regardless of the fact that many of them have finished their college education and are working themselves :-))
The satisfaction and fulfillment one feels when they call or visit is nothing less than what we would feel for our own kids. The pride that's in my heart at having such a rewarding relationship with so many youngsters is unparalleled. And it's amazing how much we have received from these kids in terms of their love and trust. It is said that teenagers are most open and honest with adults younger than their own parents. I only wish by the time our daughters grow up, there are some such people around who'll guide them, support them, not judge them and just be there for them. But then, I know with so many of our 'adopted' kids around, I don't really need to worry on that one account.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very true,in this day and age,we need the caring hands ears of many of our friends around,who better than our teachers,but i don't think my children came across so luckily as we had our own teachers during our school time.